Good resources for conferring
Nancy Atwell – Website
- In The Middle: New Understandings About Writing, Reading, and Learning, 1998, Boynton/Cook.
- Lessons That Change Writers, FirstHand, 2002.
Carol Avery – Website
- And With a Light Touch: Learning About Reading, Writing, and Teaching with First Graders, Heinemann, 2002
Donald Daiker - Website
- "Learning to Praise," Writing and Response: Theory, Practice, and Research, ed., Chris M. Anson (Urbana, IL: NCTE, 1989): 105.
Peter Elbow – Website
- Writing Without Teachers, Oxford University Press, 1973
Donald Graves – Website
- A Fresh Look at Writing, Heinemann, 1994
- Writing: Teachers and Children at Work, Heinemann, 2004
Donald Murray – Website
- A Writer Teaches Writing, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1990
- The Craft of Revision, Harcourt Brace, 1998
Katie Wood Ray – Website
- Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom, National Council of the Teachers of English, 1999.
- What You Know By Heart: How to Develop Curriculum for Your Writing Workshop, Heinemann, 2002.
- The Writing Workshop: Working Though the Hard Parts (And They’re All Hard Parts), with Lester Laminack, National Council of the Teachers of English, 2001.
Make gains with conferences
Students improved a year in writing in half a year in my classes as a result of implementing a conference routine.
A resource for people passionate about helping students write well, compiled by Karen Haag
Copyright 2016 by Karen Haag