Free lessons and handouts to download
The lesson plans available here to download will help your students explore such key writing steps as organizing, adding details, crafting strong leads and endings.
Click on the titles to download free lesson plans and handouts on narrative writing.
Introducing a Writer's Life
A collection of lessons and homework assignments to help students begin to realize that each of them is truly a writer. Topics include:
• Introducing a very important tool for writers, the Daybook.
• Using partners to improve.
• Ways to find topics.
Students explore how writers are both alike and different. The focus is on what makes writing easier. In addition, students discover many topics for narrative stories.
Story-idea lesson plans
Children are natural story-tellers. These lessons engage students and their families and friends in finding great stories for their writing. Topics include:
• Telling stories to your family.
• Telling stories to friends (and becoming good responders.)
• Freewriting – Like exploring those boxes in your attic.
Story plans, action lessons
These lessons help students to:
• Discover the importance of having a story plan, and how to make one.
• Explore the power of descriptive words.
• Find places in their stories to S-T-R-E-T-C-H their details.
In this lesson, students name different kinds of endings authors use. They also discuss, not the last paragraph, but the last line: the "clincher."
Story lead lessons
Story leads are crucial to good writing. These lessons help students see why. In these lessons, students:
• Compare clincher endings to leads.
• Cast their vote for the best leads, and discuss the winners.
• Study the teacher's own writing and revisions.
Narrative conference form
This form provides students and teacher with a clear check list for reviewing each piece of personal or imaginative narrative writing. The form also can serve as a guide as students write.
3-5th grade, integrated narrative unit lasting a month. Editing, revision, publishing, and reflection goals/lessons included. 37 pages.
Problem with downloads?
Click Here and send an email to Karen so we can fix the problem. Thanks