On Oct. 1, 2014, I finish 3.5 years working in the District and School Transformation division of the NC Department of Public Instruction. Because of the grant, I leave knowing the difficulties of transforming school cultures, and yet I've learned how it can be done. As a result of the work done by the state coaches, NC went from a graduation rate of 60% statewide to over 82% in 3 years. We know how to improve the lowest performing, high-poverty schools. I want to continue the work.
How I can help your teachers
I customize workshops to meet teachers' needs. I discuss possibilities with the administrator and send needs assessments to participants. We investigate what works through experiential learning. Examples include exploring notebooks, viewing videotapes of real students in authentic classrooms, reading information, writing, talking, and providing lesson plans to get started with follow-up as needed.
Favorite requests for grade levels 2/3-8, special-area teachers, and high-school teachers
(1) organizing a writing workshop that includes the teaching of conventions,
(2) teaching coaches or starting coaches,
(3) using strategy circles to improve reading comprehension,
(4) implementing notebooking, and
(5) embedding test prep into daily lessons.
• Phone: 704-618-3222
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2016 by Karen Haag
A resource for people passionate about helping students write well, compiled by Karen Haag